Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why does this always happen to me?

So yesterday morning, I woke up bright and early to drive my mom to work since she doesn't have a vehicle right now. We hop in the car and I flip on my Sirius Satellite Radio so I can hear some jams to get me going and wake me up. I turn on my favorite station, The Beat, which features today's best dance/techno/breakbeat music. But instead of hearing one of my favorite songs, or one of my favorite DJ's announcing the latest news in electronic music, I hear a mediocre song that I don't recognize, followed by a DJ that I've never heard before. As it would turn out, Sirius and XM have finally merged, and they got rid of half of the channels from each company. So now, instead of my favorite Sirius channel, The Beat, I now get XM's similar electronic music station, BPM. They also did away with a few of my other favorite stations.

I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I am upset by this. Why is it that all of my favorite things always get discontinued? This always happens to me! As soon as I find something that I thoroughly enjoy, be it a radio station, a drink, or a delicious breakfast sandwich, it always ends up being ripped away from my clutches.

Case in point: Back in the day, I used to dye my hair all different colors, but orange was always my favorite. I had this great color, called Agent Orange, and it was fantastic. It looked excellent on me. And then, one fateful day, it was no longer on the shelves. It had been discontinued. Sure, there were plenty of other colors to choose from, but none quite like that one. I am still mourning the loss of Agent Orange.

Another great example is my favorite unsweetened ice tea. It was the Giant brand, and it was, by far, the most delicious drink to ever hit my lips. Everytime I went to the store, I would buy every carton they had. The one day, I arrived at the store to find that there were no cartons on the shelf. I asked the stock boy when he expected to get some in, and that's when I got the horrible news: It had been discontinued. Sure, they had plenty of sweet tea, and green tea, and even raspberry flavored ice tea, but no unsweetened ice tea. It was a terrible day, and even thinking about it now is upsetting.

And how about the Nintendo Gamecube? I recently pulled my Gamecube out of it's box to hook it back up for some Mario-type entertainment. I thought maybe I'd stroll through Best Buy and pick a new game for it. So I get to Best Buy, walk through the entire video game section, only to find that there is not one Gamecube game to be had. Upon further investigation, I have learned that they no longer make games for the Gamecube, it's now been replaced by this Nintendo Wii thing. What about ME? What about my Gamecube? I don't care if it's an outdated system, it's still my system and I love it, and if I wanna play games on it then I should be able to do so! DAMNIT!

What will be next? I'm afraid to find out. If they ever discontinue Coca Cola, I might as well just dig and hole and crawl in it because that's a world that I do NOT want to live in.

That's my rant for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment